1994: PhD Chemistry in the group of Professor John Evans, University of Southampton, England - "EXAFS studies of polyoxometalates and polyoxometalate-anion-pillared layered double hydroxides"
1990: BSc Chemistry (Class 1), University of Southampton, England
2007-2008: Research Assistant at the Instituto de Engenharia Electrónica e Telemática de Aveiro, Aveiro, Portugal
2002-2007: Research Assistant at CICECO
1999-2002: Post-doc researcher in the group of Prof. Dr. João Rocha, Department of Chemistry, University of Aveiro (UA), Portugal (UA and FCT grants)
1996-1999: Post-doc researcher in the group of Prof. Alan Dyer, Chemistry Division, Science Research Institute, Universidade de Salford, England (EU Framework 4 Nuclear Fission Safety Program - Partitioning Experiments and Waste Minimisation - "Waste Volume Minimisation Using Highly Selective Inorganic Ion Exchange Materials")
1994-1995: Post-doc researcher in the group of Prof. Dr. Carlos C. Romão, Instituto de Tecnologia Química e Biológica, Oeiras, Portugal (TMR Programme - Selective Processes and Catalysis Involving Small Molecules - "Syntheses and Chemistry of Organotransition Metal Oxides")
Martyn’s research mainly involves the synthesis and chemistry of inorganic/organometallic hybrid and composite materials with interesting photofunctional, biofunctional and/or catalytic properties. A recurring theme has been organometallic inclusion and intercalation chemistry employing, for example, ordered mesoporous materials, cyclodextrins and layered double hydroxides as hosts (some examples are given on this page). To fully understand these systems it has been crucial to use multiple analysis techniques, e.g. X-ray absorption spectroscopy and powder X-ray diffraction. These studies have been and continue to be performed in close collaboration with colleagues at CICECO and other Portuguese institutions. Other collaborative research interests include the synthesis and characterization of molecular and hybrid molybdenum oxide-based catalysts for oxidation reactions, and solid acid catalysts for biomass conversion.
Post-doctoral researchers: Ana Sofia Madureira Bruno (FCT grant, cosupervision with Anabela A. Valente); Margarida Antunes (FCT grant, cosupervision with Anabela A. Valente); Ana Catarina Costa Gomes Alves (grant through the project PTDC/QEQ-SUP/1906/2012, cosupervision with Isabel S. Gonçalves).
PhD students: Ana Sofia Vagueiro de Sousa Dias (July 2007, cosupervision with Anabela A. Valente), Bernardo Ramos Batista Monteiro (March 2009, cosupervision with Isabel S. Gonçalves), Maria Margarida Feitor Pintão Moreno Antunes (December 2012, cosupervision with Anabela A. Valente).
MSc students: Joana Leão Candeias (December 2012, cosupervision with Anabela A. Valente), Joana Helena Aguiar de Almeida Pinho Abrantes (February 2014, cosupervision with Anabela A. Valente).
Post-docs: Sérgio Nuno Martins Lima (2005-2012, cosupervision with Anabela A. Valente), Sandra Maria Nunes Gago (2006-2010), Ana Catarina Costa Gomes (2010, cosupervision with Isabel S. Gonçalves).
Aveiro (CICECO): Isabel S. Gonçalves, Anabela A. Valente, Filipe A. Almeida Paz
Lisbon: Carlos C. Romão (ITQB)
Algarve: André D. Lopes (University of the Algarve)
Coimbra: Prof. Sérgio Seixas de Melo (University of Coimbra)
Porto: Salete Balula and Luís Cunha Silva (University of Porto)
Alan Dyer (University of Salford, UK)
Fritz E. Kühn (TU Munich)
PTDC/QEQ-SUP/1906/2012 (principal contractor = University of Aveiro): Use of molecular containers to modify metallocene-based catalysts
PTDC/EQU-EQU/121677/2010 (principal contractor = Instituto de Ciências e Tecnologias Agrárias e Agro-Alimentares - Porto): Desulfurization of fuels using green heterogeneous oxidative catalytic processes
CICECO-funded project (1/3/10-28/2/11, principal investigator): "Metal carbonyl intercalated anion exchangers as drug delivery systems"
PTDC/QUI/71198/2006 (participant): "Ansa-bridged Organorhenium(VII) oxides and their application as homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysts"
POCI/CTM/58507/2004 (principal investigator): "Multifunctional anionic clays"
POCI/QUI/56109/2004 (participant): "New oxometal compounds with tailored catalytic properties"
POCI/QUI/56112/2004 (participant): " Catalytic conversion of carbohydrates into furan derivatives"
POCTI/QUI/37990/2001 (participant): "Tailored oxomolybdenum catalysts"
POCTI/QUI/32889/99 (participant): "Heterogenisation of photochemically and catalytically active transition metal complexes on mesoporous oxides"
200 papers in international peer-reviewed journals, w-index 8, h-index 41
Top three cited papers (23/09/2016):
(168 citations) Octahedral Bipyridine and Bipyrimidine Dioxomolybdenum(VI) Complexes: Characterization, Application in Catalytic Epoxidation, and Density Functional Mechanistic Study, F. E. Kühn, M. Groarke, É. Bencze, E. Herdtweck, A. Prazeres, A. M. Santos, M. J. Calhorda, C. C. Romão, I. S. Gonçalves, A. D. Lopes, M. Pillinger, Chem. Eur. J., 2002, 8, 2370. Link
(179 citations) Dehydration of xylose into furfural over micro-mesoporous sulfonic acid catalysts, A.S. Dias, M. Pillinger, A.A. Valente, J. Catal., 2005, 229, 414. Link
(139 citations) Highly Luminescent Tris(b-diketonate)europium(III) Complexes Immobilized in a Functionalized Mesoporous Silica, S. Gago, J. A. Fernandes, J. P. Rainho, R. A. Sá Ferreira, M. Pillinger, A. A. Valente, T. M. Santos, L. D. Carlos, P. J. A. Ribeiro-Claro, I. S. Gonçalves, Chem. Mater., 2005, 17, 5077. Link
Layered double hydroxides
1) An Indigo Carmine-Based Hybrid Nanocomposite with Supramolecular Control of Dye Aggregation and Photobehavior, A.L. Costa, A.C. Gomes, M. Pillinger, I.S. Gonçalves, J.S. Seixas de Melo, Chem. Eur. J., 2015, DOI: 10.1002/chem.201501344. Link
Tune into the blues: Zn-Al layered double hydroxides (LDHs) containing solely indigo carmine (IC) or 1-hexanesulfonate (HS) anions, or a mixture of the two with different HS/IC molar ratios, were prepared by the direct synthesis method. For the LDH containing solely IC anions, the dye molecules assembled within the interlayer galleries to form a J-type stacking arrangement. Through a comprehensive electronic spectral and photophysical study it was shown that incorporation of IC within the LDH decreased the level of aggregation, and that further addition of HS induced the appearance of isolated IC units within the LDH galleries. The indigo carmine-based nanocomposites constitute a step-forward in the design of hybrid materials with tunable properties.
2) Controlling the Fluorescence Behavior of 1-Pyrenesulfonate by Cointercalation with a Surfactant in a Layered Double Hydroxide, A.L. Costa, A.C. Gomes, M. Pillinger, I.S. Gonçalves, J.S. Seixas de Melo, Langmuir, 2015, 31, 4769. Link
3) Intercalation of a Molybdenum η3-Allyl Dicarbonyl Complex in a Layered Double Hydroxide and Catalytic Performance in Olefin Epoxidation, A. C. Gomes, S. M. Bruno, C. A. Gamelas, A. A. Valente, M. Abrantes, I. S. Gonçalves, C. C. Romão, M. Pillinger, Dalton Trans, 2013, 42, 8231. Link
4) Intercalation of a Molybdenum(0)-Tetracarbonyl-Bipyridine Complex in a Layered Double Hydroxide, A. C. Gomes, S. M. Bruno, A. A. Valente, I. S. Gonçalves, M. Pillinger, J. Organomet. Chem., 2013, 744, 53. Link
5) Preparation and photophysical characterisation of Zn-Al layered double hydroxides intercalated by anionic pyrene derivatives, S. Gago, T. Costa, J. Seixas de Melo, I. S. Gonçalves, M. Pillinger, J. Mater. Chem., 2008, 18, 894. Link
6) Investigation of layered double hydroxides intercalated by oxomolybdenum catecholate complexes, B. Monteiro, S. Gago, F. A. Almeida Paz, R. Bilsborrow, I. S. Gonçalves, M. Pillinger, Inorg. Chem., 2008, 47, 8674. Link
7) Immobilization of Oxomolybdenum Species in a Layered Double Hydroxide Pillared by 2,2'-Bipyridine-5,5'-Dicarboxylate Anions, S. Gago, M. Pillinger, A. A. Valente, T. M. Santos, J. Rocha, I. S. Gonçalves, Inorg. Chem., 2004, 43, 5422. Link
8) Immobilization of Lanthanide Ions in a Pillared Layered Double Hydroxide, S. Gago, M. Pillinger, R. A. Sá Ferreira, L. D. Carlos, T. M. Santos, I. S. Gonçalves, Chem. Mater., 2005, 17, 5803. Link
1) Desulfurization of model diesel by extraction/oxidation using a zinc-substituted polyoxometalate as catalyst under homogeneous and heterogeneous (MIL-101(Cr) encapsulated) conditions, D. Julião, A.C. Gomes, M. Pillinger, L. Cunha-Silva, B. de Castro, I.S. Gonçalves, S.S. Balula, Fuel Processing Technology, 2015, 131, 78. Link
2) Investigation of a dichlorodioxomolybdenum(VI)-pyrazolylpyridine complex and a hybrid derivative as catalysts in olefin epoxidation, T.R. Amarante, P. Neves, F.A.A. Paz, A.A. Valente, M. Pillinger, I.S. Gonçalves, Dalton Trans., 2014, 43, 6059. Link
3) Hydrothermal Synthesis, Crystal Structure and Catalytic Potential of a One-Dimensional Molybdenum Oxide/Bipyridinedicarboxylate Hybrid, T. R. Amarante, P. Neves, A. A. Valente, F. A. A. Paz, A. N. Fitch, M. Pillinger, I. S. Gonçalves, Inorg. Chem., 2013, 52, 4618. Link
4) Catalytic Cyclodehydration of Xylose to Furfural in the Presence of Zeolite H-Beta and a Micro/Mesoporous Beta/TUD-1 Composite Material, S. Lima, M. M. Antunes, A. Fernandes, M. Pillinger, M. F. Ribeiro, A. A. Valente, Appl. Catal. A: Gen., 2010, 388, 141. Link
5) Grafting of molecularly ordered mesoporous phenylene-silica with molybdenum carbonyl complexes: Efficient heterogeneous catalysts for the epoxidation of olefins, A. C. Coelho, S. S. Balula, S. M. Bruno, J. C. Alonso, N. Bion, P. Ferreira, M. Pillinger, A. A. Valente, J. Rocha, I. S. Gonçalves, Adv. Synth. Catal., 2010, 352, 1759. Link
6) Investigation of molybdenum tetracarbonyl complexes as precursors to MoVI catalysts for the epoxidation of olefins, T. R. Amarante, P. Neves, A. C. Coelho, S. Gago, A. A. Valente, F. A. A. Paz, M. Pillinger, I. S. Gonçalves, Organometallics, 2010, 29, 883. Link
7) Influence of Cyclodextrins on Catalytic Olefin Epoxidation with Metal Carbonyl Compounds. Crystal Structure of the TRIMEB Complex with CpFe(CO)2Cl, S. S. Balula, A. C. Coelho, S. S. Braga, A. Hazell, A. A. Valente, M. Pillinger, J. D. Seixas, C. C. Romão, I. S. Gonçalves, Organometallics, 2007, 26, 6857. Link
8) Immobilisation of rhodium acetonitrile complexes in ordered mesoporous silica, M. Pillinger, C. D. Nunes, P. D. Vaz, A. A. Valente, I. S. Gonçalves, P. J. A. Ribeiro-Claro, J. Rocha, L. D. Carlos, F. E. Kühn, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2002, 4, 3098. Link
9) Sorption behaviour of radionuclides on crystalline synthetic tunnel manganese oxides, A. Dyer, M. Pillinger, J. A. Newton, R. Harjula, T. Möller, S. Amin, Chem. Mater., 2000, 12, 3798. Link
10) Ion exchange of caesium and strontium on a titanosilicate analogue of the mineral pharmacosiderite, A. Dyer, M. Pillinger, S. Amin, J. Mater. Chem., 1999, 9, 2481. Link