Andreia F de Sousa began her studies at the University of Coimbra where she received both her BsC in Industrial Chemistry and her MSc degree in Chemistry. During these studies AFS has been a trainee at the University Autonoma of Barcelona. Afterwards, already at the University of Aveiro, she received her PhD in Chemistry in 2011. Currently, AFS is a post-doc researcher also at the University of Aveiro.
She has been acutely involved in research since the early BsC years, working in such diverse fields as theoretical chemistry or organic chemistry. Her main research interests are currently focused on polymer chemistry, especially in the synthesis and characterisation of sustainable polyesters obtained from renewable resources, namely furan- and suberin-based polyesters. Mostly of these research studies are focused on PEF, which has shown outstanding properties, similar to those of the well-known petrochemical-based PET.
Andreia F de Sousa has published 19 papers in SCI journal, 8 of them in the past two years, and has 3 more papers currently submitted to publication. Also, she has been a referee for important chemistry journals in the field of natural products: Industrial Crops and Products, Progress in Organic Coatings and Molecules. During the last two years AFS has co-supervised 2 students, namely one BSc and one researcher fellow under an FCT.
AFS engagement in science and in networking has been consolidated through her participation, as a team member, in 6 finished/on-going research projects.
papers in international scientific journals
- C Vilela, AF Sousa, AC Fonseca, JFJ Coelho, CSR. Freire, and AJD Silvestre ‘The quest for sustainable polyesters – insights into the future’ Polym Chem 2013, (accepted, DOI:10.1039/C3PY01213A).
- R Ferreira, H Garcia, AF Sousa, CSR Freire, AJD Silvestre, W Kunz, LPN Rebelo and CS Pereira ‘Microwave Assisted Extraction of betulin from birch outer bark’, RSC Advances 2013, (accepted, DOI: 10.1039/C3RA43868F).
- AF Sousa, M Matos, CSR Freire, AJD Silvestre and JFJ Coelho ‘New copolyesters derived from terephthalic and 2,5-furandicarboxylic acids: A step forward in the development of biobased polyesters’, Polymer 2013, 54, 513-519 (DOI: 10.1016/j.polymer.2012.11.081).
- R Ferreira, H Garcia, AF Sousa, CSR Freire, AJD Silvestre, LPN Rebelo and CS Pereira ‘Isolation of suberin from birch outer bark and cork using ionic liquids: A new source of macromonomers’, Ind Crop Prod 2013, 44, 520-527 (DOI: 10.1016/j.indcrop.2012.10.002).
- C Vilela, AF Sousa, CSR Freire, AJD Silvestre and C Pascoal Neto ‘Novel sustainable composites prepared from cork residues and biopolymers’, Biomass Bioenerg 2013, 55, 148-155 (DOI: 10.1016 /j.biombioe.2013.01.029).
- SAO Santos, JJ. Villaverde, AF Sousa, CP Neto, JFJ Coelho and AJD Silvestre ´Phenolic composition and antioxidant activity of industrial cork by-products’ Ind Crop Prod 2013, 47, 262-269 (DOI: 10.1016/j.indcrop.2013.03.015).
- AF Sousa, AJD Silvestre, A Gandini and C Pascoal Neto ‘Synthesis of aliphatic suberin-like polyesters by ecofriendly catalytic systems’, High Perform Polym 2012 24, 4-8 (DOI: 10.1177/0954008311431114).
- R Ferreira, H Garcia, AF Sousa, M Petkovic, P Lamosa, CSR Freire, AJD Silvestre, LN Rebelo and CS Pereira ‘Suberin isolation from cork using ionic liquids: characterisation of ensuing products’, New J Chem 2012, 36, 2014-2024 (DOI: 10.1039/C2NJ40433H).
- AF Sousa, A Gandini, AJD Silvestre, C Pascoal Neto, JJC Cruz Pinto, C Eckerman, and B Holmbom ‘Novel suberin-based biopolyesters: from synthesis to properties’, J Polym Sci Pol Chem, J Polym Sci Pol Chem 2011, 49, 2281-2291 (DOI: 10.1002/pola.24661).
- AF Sousa, A Gandini, AJD Silvestre and C Pascoal Neto ‘Determination of the hydroxy and carboxylic acid groups in natural complex mixtures of hydroxy fatty acids by 1H Nuclear Magnetic Resonance spectroscopy’, Appl Spectrosc 2009, 63, 873-878 (DOI: 10.1366/000370209788964557).
- A Gandini, AJD Silvestre, C Pascoal Neto, AF Sousa and M Gomes ‘The furan counterpart of poly(ethylene terephthalate): an alternative material based on renewable resources’, J Polym Sci Pol Chem 2009, 47, 295-298 (DOI: 10.1002/pola.23130).
- PCRO Pinto, AF Sousa, AJD Silvestre, C Pascoal Neto, A Gandini, C Eckerman and B Holmbom ‘Quercus suber and Betula pendula outer barks as renewable sources of oleochemicals: a comparative study’, Ind Crop Prod 2009, 29, 126-132 (DOI:10.1016/j.indcrop.2008.04.015).
- AF Sousa, A Gandini, AJD Silvestre and C Pascoal Neto ‘Synthesis and characterization of novel biopolyesters from suberin and model comonomers’, ChemSusChem 2008, 1, 1020-1025 (DOI: 10.1002/cssc.200800178).
- AF Sousa, PCRO Pinto, AJD Silvestre and C Pascoal Neto 'Triterpenic and other lipophilic components from industrial cork byproducts', J Agric Food Chem 2006, 54, 6888-6893 (DOI: 10.1021/jf060987+).
- AF Sousa, AACC Pais and P Linse 'Polymer distribution in connected spherical domains', J Chem Phys 2005, 122, 1-8 (DOI: 10.1063/1.1904592).
- AF Peixoto, MM Pereira , AF Sousa, AACC Pais, MGPMS Neves, AMS Silva, JAS Cavaleiro 'Improving regioselectivity in the rhodium catalyzed hydroformylation of protoporphyrin-IX and chlorophyll a derivatives' 2005, J Mol Catal, 235, 185-193 (DOI: 10.1016/j.molcata.2005.04.008).
- MLP Leitão, J Canotilho, A Sousa, AACC Pais, AT Sousa and JS Redinha, 'Infrared spectroscopy and the characterization of terfenadine crystallized from solvents', J Therm Anal Calorim 2003, 73, 763-774 (DOI: 10.1023/A:1025826329359).
- AF Sousa, J Canotilho, AACC Pais, MLP Leitão and JS Redinha 'Molecular dynamics simulation of the terfenadine monomer and dimer, including solvent efects', Mol Phys 2003, 101, 6, 871-879 (DOI: 10.1080/0026897031000075688).
- AACC Pais, A Sousa, ME Eusébio and JS Redinha 'Solvation of alkane and alcohol molecules. Energy contributions' 2001, PCCP, 3, 4001-4009 (DOI: 0.1039/b104981j).