FRSC (Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry, UK)
Researcher ID: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/A-3490-2012
Institutional Adress: University of Aveiro, Department of Chemistry, 3810-193 Aveiro, Portugal
Year / Academic degree / Institution
1996 / PhD / Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, University of London, UK
1992 / MESTRADO / University of Aveiro, Portugal
1987 / LICENCIATURA / University of Coimbra, Portugal
PREVIOUS AND CURRENT SCIENTIFIC AND/OR PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
Period / Position or category / Institution
11/03/2002 (to presente) / Assistant Professor (full nomination) / University of Aveiro, Portugal
11/03/1997 / Assistant Professor / University of Aveiro, Portugal
01/10/1993 - 30/09/1996 / PhD student / Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, University of London, UK
28/11/1992 / Assistente / University of Aveiro, Portugal
22/02/1990 / Assistente Estagiária / University of Aveiro, Portugal
01/12/1987 / Research scholarship / University of Aveiro, Portugal
PRIZES AND AWARDS
Year / Name of the prize or award / Name of the granting entity
2014 / Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry / RSC, UK
1996 / Diploma of Imperial College (DIC) in Inorganic Chemistry / Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, UK
1994 / Best scientific works at ASPIC94 - Annual Symposium of Postgraduate Inorganic Chemists, London / Royal Society of Chemistry, UK
1993 / three year PhD scholarship / Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, Portugal
AREA OF SCIENTIFIC ACTIVITY
Inorganic Chemistry: Polyoxometalate based materials, in particular lanthanopolyoxometalate organic-inorganic hybrid materials and nanostructured materials. Coordination chemistry of second and third row transition metals and the lanthanides.
Raman spectroscopy: Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering (SERS) for the study of metal nanoparticle assemblies with relevance in trace analysis and biodetection.
DOMAIN OF SPECIALIZATION
Research was developed on the coordination chemistry of aromatic ambidentate ligands (such as picolinates and nicotinates) with second and third row transition metals and the lanthanides. The use of derivatised fullerene ligands in the coordination to lanthanides was also explored. The preparation of new polyoxometalates was studied associated to its use as ligands in d and f metal complexes. The use of polyoxometalates as oxidation catalysts was investigated.
[Chem. Commun., 2004, 2656]
[Chem. Commun., 2006, 2953]
Lanthanopolyoxometalates were used as building units to make luminescent nanosized materials, including film assemblies and polyoxometalate-anion-pillared layered double hydroxides.
Raman spectroscopy, SERS in particular, was used for the investigation of the adsorption modes and orientation of molecules on metal nanoparticle surfaces.
PRESENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
Polyoxometalates have been used as inorganic components in the construction of hybrid organic-inorganic functional materials, the preparation of new polyoxometalate-lanthanide-organic systems has been achieved.
[Eur. J. Inorg. Chem., 2009, 5088]
The incorporation of organic-inorganic hybrid compounds, based on lanthanopolyoxometalates, into nanosized SiO2 has been explored for the preparation of photoluminescent materials. The association of the polyoxometalate/SiO2 core/shell nanoparticles to specific antibodies, for the use as luminescent biomarkers, is under investigation.
[J. Mater. Chem., 2010, 3313]
The preparation of new lanthanopolyoxometalate based nanocomposites is under investigation using substrates such as graphene, polymers or polysaccharides.
[RSC Advances, 2012, 9443]
Preparation of new SERS substrates of silver and gold nanoparticles incorporated in organic polymers and graphene.
[J. Raman Spectrosc., 2008, 439]
AREA OF TEACHING ACTIVITY
Teaching at the Chemistry Department of the University of Aveiro has been one of the main activities in the last twenty years. The subjects have varied from General Chemistry to Inorganic Chemistry and Heterogeneous Catalysis, both in theoretical and laboratorial teaching. The supervising of final year undergraduate Projects has also been done every year.
Local coordination at the University of Aveiro of the European Master Programme in Materials Science, from the Erasmus Mundus program, was done in the period 2006-2008.
SUPERVISING EXPERIENCE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF AVEIRO
- Sara Isabel Augusto Fateixa Caria, started 2014.
- Carlos Miguel Cardeal Enes Granadeiro, 2011.
- Rodrigo De Paula, 2010.
- Paula Cristina Ramos Soares e Santos, 2005-2010.
- Maria de La Salete da Silva Balula, 2004-2005.
- Sandra Maria Alves da Cruz, "Graphene based nanocomposites as probes for biodetection by SERS", started 2010.
- Filipe Miguel de Almeida Marques dos Santos, “New polyoxotungstate organic-inorganic hybrid materials: synthesis, properties and electrode functionalization”, started 2008.
- Carlos Miguel Cardeal Enes Granadeiro, "Polyoxometalates: from discrete clusters to networks and materials”, finished 2010.
- Paula Cristina Ramos Soares e Santos, "Novel lanthanide luminescent systems: from coordination compounds to nanomaterials", finished 2005.
- Susana Maria de Ornelas Quintal, “Synthesis, characterization and applications of transition metal complexes with N, O and S Donors”, finished 2002.
- Joana Lia Cardoso de Sousa, "Novos materiais contendo polioxometalatos suportados e sua aplicação em catálise oxidativa", Mestrado em Materiais Derivados de Recursos Renováveis, finished 2009.
- Filipa Lourosa Sousa, "Novos Sistemas Luminescentes de Polioxometalatos Contendo Lantanídeos", Mestrado em Ciência e Engenharia de Materiais, finished 2003.
Coordination of research projects:
- "Polyoxometalates: from discrete clusters to networks and materials". Financement: 57500 Euro by Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT), Portugal (POCI/QUI/58887/2004). University of Aveiro, 2005-2008.
- "Novel lanthanide luminescent systems: from supramolecular to nanomaterials". Financement: 39904 Euro by FCT (POCTI/35378/QUI/2000). University of Aveiro, 2000-2003.
Participation in research projects:
- "Nanochemistry of magnetic/luminescent composites for in vitro medical diagnosis applications". Financement: 56200 Euro by FCT (PTDC/QUI/67712/2006). University of Aveiro, 2008-2010.
- "Nanostructrured hybrid organic-inorganic assemblies: development of layer-by-layer and single-layer heteropolyoxotungstate modified electrodes". Financement: 62000 Euro by FCT (POCI/QUI/56534/2004). University of Aveiro, 2005-2008.
- "FAME - Functionalised Advanced Materials Engineering of hybrids and ceramics", Excelence Network 6FP (6 FP), priority "Nanotechnologies and nanoscience, knowledge-based multifunctional materials, and new production processes and devices". University of Aveiro, started 2004.
- “Controlling the length scale trough “chimie douce”: from inorganic functional materials to organic-inorganic hybrids”. Financement: 195000 Euro by FCT (POCTI/CTM/46780/2002). University of Aveiro, 2003-2006.
- “New polyoxotungstate/organic cation associations: synthesis and catalytic applications”. Financement: 23000 Euro by FCT (POCTI/QUI/38377/2001). University of Aveiro, 2002-2005.
- “Nanoenginneering of magnetic-luminescent particles for cell labeling and separation techniques”. Financement: 68458 Euro by the Research Institute of the University of Aveiro. University of Aveiro, 2002-2005.
- “Studies on the interaction of organic molecules with metal nanoparticle surfaces”. Financement: 19453 Euro by the Senate of the University of Aveiro. University of Aveiro, 1998-2000.
Oral communications by invitation:
- "Polyoxometalates: let there be light!" – H. I. S. Nogueira. ENERMAT Scientific & Training Event on Nanomaterials and Hybrid Materials, Aveiro, Portugal, 24-25 November 2011.
- "Lanthanopolyoxometalate based materials" - H. I. S. Nogueira. International Polyoxometalate Symposium, University of Jacobs, Bremen, Germany, 2009.
- "Lanthanopolyoxometalate based materials", Plenary Lecture, H. I. S. Nogueira. 7th SPQ Conference on Inorganic Chemistry, November 30- December 1, 2007, Fátima, Portugal.
- "Nanostructured metals in surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy" - H. I. S. Nogueira. 8º Encontro Nacional de Química Física da SPQ, Luso, Portugal, 2007.
- "Complexos metálicos de ligandos aromáticos ambidentados: aspectos estruturais e potenciais aplicações biomédicas" - H. I. S. Nogueira. Inserida no ciclo de Conferências Professor Vítor Madeira, do Departamento de Bioquímica da Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da Universidade de Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal, 2003.
- "Probing single molecules and metal nanoparticles interactions by surface-enhanced Raman scattering" - H. I. S. Nogueira. Kick-off Meeting of the Working Group "Physico-Chemical Processes at the Interface of Inorganic/Polymer Nanocomposites" in the COST D19 Action, Departamento de Química, Universidade de Aveiro, Aveiro, Portugal, 2002.
- "Coordination studies on aromatic ambidentate ligands with transition metals and on silver colloids" - H. I. S. Nogueira. 2nd International Conference on Progress in Inorganic and Organometallic Chemistry, Polanica Zdrój, Poland, 1997.
Chapters in books:
“Nanostructured metals in surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy” - H. I. S. Nogueira, J. J. C. Teixeira-Dias, T. Trindade, in Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, American Scientific Publishers, California, USA, Vol. 7, pages 699-715, 2004.
“Complexes of Keggin-type monolacunary heteropolytungstates: synthesis and characterization” - A. M. V. Cavaleiro, J. D. Pedrosa de Jesus, H. I. S. Nogueira, in Metal Clusters in Chemistry, Eds. P. Braunstein, L. A. Oro and P. Raithby, Wiley-VCH, Vol. 1, pages 444-458, 1999.
Selected papers in ISI journals:
“Photoluminescent bimetallic-3-hydroxypicolinate/graphene oxide nanocomposite” - C. M. Granadeiro, S. M. A. Cruz, G. Gonçalves, P. A. A. P. Marques, P. M. F. J. Costa, R. A. S. Ferreira, L. D. Carlos, H. I. S. Nogueira, RSC Advances, 2012, 2, 9443–9447.
“Organic–inorganic hybrid materials based on iron(III)-polyoxotungstates and 1-butyl-3-methylimidazolium cations” - F. M. Santos, P. Brandão, V. Félix, M. R. M. Domingues, J. S. Amaral, V. S. Amaral, H. I. S. Nogueira, A. M. V. Cavaleiro, Dalton Trans., 2012, 41, 12145-12155.
“Polymer based silver nanocomposites as versatile solid film and aqueous emulsion SERS substrates” – S. Fateixa, A. V. Girão, H. I. S. Nogueira, T. Trindade, J. Mater. Chem., 2011, 21, 15629-15636.
“Iron(III)-substituted polyoxotungstates immobilized on silica nanoparticles: novel oxidative heterogeneous catalysts” – J. L.C. Sousa, I. C.M.S. Santos, M. M.Q. Simões, J. A.S. Cavaleiro, H. I. S. Nogueira, A. M.V. Cavaleiro, Catalysis Communications, 2011, 12, 459-463.
“Lanthanopolyoxotungstates in silica nanoparticles: multi-wavelength photoluminescent core/shell materials” - C. M. Granadeiro, R. A. S. Ferreira, P. C. R. Soares-Santos, L. D. Carlos, T. Trindade, H. I. S. Nogueira, J. Mater. Chem., 2010, 20, 3313-3318.
“Photoluminescent lanthanide-organic bilayer networks with 2,3-pyrazinedicarboxylate and oxalate” - P. C. R. Soares-Santos, L. Cunha-Silva, F. A. Almeida Paz, R. A. S. Ferreira, J. Rocha, L. D. Carlos, H. I. S. Nogueira, Inorg. Chem., 2010, 49, 3428-3440.
“Lanthanopolyoxometalates as building blocks for multi-wavelength photoluminescent organic inorganic hybrid materials” - C. M. Granadeiro, R. A. S. Ferreira, P. C. R. Soares-Santos, L. D. Carlos, H. I. S. Nogueira, Eur. J. Inorg. Chem., 2009, 5088–5095.
“Surface modification of graphene nanosheets with gold nanoparticles: the role of oxygen moieties at graphene surface on gold nucleation and growth” – G. Goncalves, P. A. A. P. Marques, C. M. Granadeiro, H. I. S. Nogueira, M. K. Singh, J. Grácio, Chem Mater, 2009, 21 (20), 4796–4802.
“Nanoencapsulation of luminescent 3-hydroxypicolinate lanthanide complexes” – K. O. Iwu, P. C. R. Soares-Santos, H. I. S. Nogueira, L. D. Carlos, Tito Trindade, J. Phys. Chem. C, 2009, 113 (18), 7567–7573.
“Photoluminescent 3D lanthanide-organic frameworks with 2,5-pyridinedicarboxylic and 1,4-phenylenediacetic acids” - P. C. R. Soares-Santos, L. Cunha-Silva, F. A. Almeida Paz, R. A. Sá Ferreira, J. Rocha, T. Trindade, L. D. Carlos, H. I. S. Nogueira, Crystal Growth & Design, 2008, 8 (7), 2505–2516.
“Silver-bacterial cellulosic sponges as active SERS substrates” - P. A. A. P. Marques, H. I. S. Nogueira, R. J. B. Pinto, C. Pascoal Neto, T. Trindade, J. Raman Spectrosc., 2008, 39, 439-443.
“One-dimensional chiral silver(i) chain of lacunary α-keggin anions”- H. I. S. Nogueira, F. A. Almeida Paz, P. A. F. Teixeira, J. Klinowski, Chem. Commun., 2006, 28, 2953-2955.
“Luminescent polyoxotungstoeuropate-anion-pillared layered double hydroxides” - F. L. Sousa, M. Pillinger, R. A. Sá Ferreira, C. M. Granadeiro, A. M. V. Cavaleiro, J. Rocha, L. D. Carlos , T. Trindade, H. I. S. Nogueira, Eur. J. Inorg. Chem., 2006, 726-734.
“The first one-dimensional lanthanopolyoxotungstoborate” - F. L. Sousa, F. A. Almeida Paz, C. M. C. E. Granadeiro, A. M. V. Cavaleiro, J. Rocha, J. Klinowski, H. I. S. Nogueira, Inorg. Chem. Commun., 2005, 8/10, 924-927.
“Pyridine-carboxylate complexes of platinum. effect of N,O-chelate formation on model bifunctional DNA-DNA and DNA-protein interactions” – S. M. O. Quintal, Y. Qu, A. G. Quiroga, J. Moniodis, H. I. S. Nogueira, N. P. Farrell, Inorg. Chem., 2005, 44, 5247-5253.
“Lanthanide compounds containing a benzo-15-crown-5 derivatised fullerene and the related [Tb(H2O)3(NO3)2(acac)]∙C14H20O5 supramolecular adduct” - P. C. R. Soares-Santos, T. Trindade, A. C. Tomé, J. Rocha, R. A. Sá Ferreira, L. D. Carlos, F. A. Almeida Paz, J. Klinowski, H. I. S. Nogueira, New J. Chem., 2004, 28, 1352-1358.
“Novel cerium(IV) heteropolyoxotungstate containing two types of lacunary keggin anions” - F. L. Sousa, F. A. Almeida Paz, A. M. V. Cavaleiro, J. Klinowski, H. I. S. Nogueira, Chem. Commun., 2004, 2656-2657.
“Lanthanopolyoxotungstoborates: synthesis, characterization and layer-by-layer assembly of europium photoluminescent nanostructured films”- F. L. Sousa, A. C. A. S. Ferreira, R. A. Sá Ferreira, A. M. V. Cavaleiro, L. D. Carlos, H. I. S. Nogueira, J. Rocha, T. Trindade, J. Nanosci. Nanotech., 2004, 4, 214-220.
“Synthesis and characterization of tungsten trioxide powders prepared from tungstic acids” - H. I. S. Nogueira, A. M. V. Cavaleiro, J. Rocha, T. Trindade, J. D. Pedrosa de Jesus, Mater. Res. Bull., 2004, 683-693.
“Novel lanthanide luminescent materials based on complexes of 3-hydroxypicolinic acid and silica nanoparticles” – P. C. R. Soares-Santos, H. I. S. Nogueira, V. Félix, M. G. B. Drew, R. A. Sá Ferreira, L. D. Carlos, T. Trindade, Chem. Mater., 2003, 15, 100-108.
“Polinuclear molybdenum and tungsten complexes of 3‑hydroxypicolinic acid and the crystal structures of (nBu4N)2[Mo4O12(picOH)2] and (nHex4N)2[Mo2O6(picOH)2]” - S. M. O. Quintal, H. I. S. Nogueira, H. M. Carapuça, V. Félix, M. G. B. Drew, J. Chem. Soc. Dalton Trans., 2001, 3196-3201.
“Coordination modes of 3-hydroxypicolinic acid: synthesis and crystal structures of palladium(II), platinum(II) and rhenium(V) complexes” - S. M. O. Quintal, H. I. S. Nogueira, V. Félix, M. G. B. Drew, New J. Chem., 2000, 24, 511-517.
“Studies on polyoxo- and polyperoxo-metalates. part 7: lanthano- and thoriopolyoxotungstates as catalytic oxidants with H2O2, and the X-ray crystal structure of Na8[ThW10O36].28H2O” - W. P. Griffith, N. Morley-Smith, H. I. S. Nogueira, A. G. F. Shoair, M. Suriaatmaja, A. J. P. White, D. J. Williams, J. Organomet. Chem., 2000, 607, 146-155.
“Second- and third-row transition-metal complexes of dihydroxybenzoic acids, and the crystal structure of [NMe4]2[MoO2(2,3-dhb)2]·1.5H2O” - W. P. Griffith, H. I. S. Nogueira, B. C. Parkin, R. N. Sheppard, A. J. P. White, D. J. Williams, J. Chem. Soc., Dalton Trans., 1995, 1775-1781.
Novel sintering-free scaffolds obtained by additive manufacturing for concurrent bone regeneration and drug delivery: Proof of conceptMarques, CF; Olhero, SM; Torres, PMC; Abrantes, JCC; Fateixa, S; Nogueira, HIS; Ribeiro, IAC; Bettencourt, A; Sousa, A; Granja, PL; Ferreira, JMF
2019, MATERIALS SCIENCE & ENGINEERING C-MATERIALS FOR BIOLOGICAL APPLICATIONS, 94, 426-436.
Raman and Fluorescence Imaging of Polyoxometalate Composite Agarose FilmsNogueira, HIS; Bornes, C; Fateixa, S; Trindade, T
2019, EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF INORGANIC CHEMISTRY, 03-Apr, 477-481.
Magnetite-Supported Gold Nanostars for the Uptake and SERS Detection of TetracyclinePinheiro, PC; Fateixa, S; Nogueira, HIS; Trindade, T
2019, NANOMATERIALS, 9, 1,
Modification of carbon fibre reinforced polymer (CFRP) surface with sodium dodecyl sulphate for mitigation of cathodic activityOfoegbu, SU; Yasakau, K; Kallip, S; Nogueira, HIS; Ferreira, MGS; Zheludkevich, ML
2019, APPLIED SURFACE SCIENCE, 478, 924-936.
Pressure-dependent large area synthesis and electronic structure of MoS2Sharma, DK; Ramana, EV; Fateixa, S; Hortiguela, MJ; Otero-Irurueta, G; Nogueira, HIS; Kholkin, A
2018, MATERIALS RESEARCH BULLETIN, 97, 265-271.
Spatial and temporal distribution of microplastics in water and sediments of a freshwater system (Antua River, Portugal)Rodrigues, MO; Abrantes, N; Goncalves, FJM; Nogueira, H; Marques, JC; Goncalves, AMM
2018, SCIENCE OF THE TOTAL ENVIRONMENT, 633, 1549-1559.
Effectiveness of a methodology of microplastics isolation for environmental monitoring in freshwater systemsRodrigues, MO; Goncalves, AMM; Goncalves, FJM; Nogueira, H; Marques, JC; Abrantes, N
2018, ECOLOGICAL INDICATORS, 89, 488-495.
A general strategy to prepare SERS active filter membranes for extraction and detection of pesticides in waterFateixa, S; Raposo, M; Nogueira, HIS; Trindade, T
2018, TALANTA, 182, 558-566.
Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering Spectral Imaging for the Attomolar Range Detection of Crystal Violet in Contaminated WaterFateixa, S; Nogueira, HIS; Trindade, T
2018, ACS OMEGA, 3, 4, 4331-4341.
Reductive nanometric patterning of graphene oxide paper using electron beam lithographyGoncalves, G; Borme, J; Bdkin, I; Gonzalez-Mayorga, A; Irurueta, G; Nogueira, HIS; Serrano, MC; Alpuim, P; Marques, PAAP
2018, CARBON, 129, 63-75.
Functionalized Inorganic Nanoparticles for Magnetic Separation and SERS Detection of Water PollutantsPinheiro, PC; Daniel-da-Silva, AL; Nogueira, HIS; Trindade, T
2018, EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF INORGANIC CHEMISTRY, 30, 3443-3461.
Corrosion inhibition of copper in aqueous chloride solution by 1H-1,2,3-triazole and 1,2,4-triazole and their combinations: electrochemical, Raman and theoretical studiesOfoegbu, SU; Galvao, TLP; Gomes, JRB; Tedim, J; Nogueira, HIS; Ferreira, MGS; Zheludkevich, ML
2017, PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY CHEMICAL PHYSICS, 19, 8, 6113-6129.
Defect concentration in nitrogen-doped graphene grown on Cu substrate: A thickness effectSharma, DK; Fateixa, S; Hortiguela, MJ; Vidyasagar, R; Otero-Irurueta, G; Nogueira, HIS; Singh, MK; Kholkin, A
2017, PHYSICA B-CONDENSED MATTER, 513, 62-68.
Ultra-high pressure modified cellulosic fibres with antimicrobial propertiesSalgueiro, AM; Santos, MD; Saraiva, JA; Almeida, F; Sousa, I; Tedim, J; Nogueira, HIS; Evtuguin, DV
2017, CARBOHYDRATE POLYMERS, 175, 303-310.
A new synthetic route for compounds prepared from Keggin heteropolyacids and pyridine derivativesSantos, FM; Nogueira, HIS; Cavaleiro, AMV; Gomes, ED; Belsley, MS
2017, INORGANICA CHIMICA ACTA, 455, 600-606.