Education: (i) PhD in Chemistry from the University of Manchester under the supervision of Professor Philip Hodge, Thesis: “The Synthesis and Study of Novel Materials for Use as Functional LB Films” (1997); (ii) M.Sc. in Bioactive Molecules, University of North London (1992); (iii) 4th year of the Course of Applied Chemistry - Organic Chemistry, Univ. Nova de Lisboa (1990); (iv) B.Sc. in Chemical Engineering, ISEL (1988).
Since July 1996 - Universidade de Aveiro – Assistant Professor at the Dept. of Chemistry responsible for a variety of courses on Polymers and Chemical Engineering laboratories. During this period, amongst various administrative jobs, has participated in the preparation of two Erasmus Mundus MSc programmes in the field of Materials Science which she coordinated and/or was/is member of the coordination team;
1993 - 1996 - University of Manchester - Dept. of Chemistry (Polymer Section) - Research Assistant. Synthesis of amphiphilic polymers and calixarenes; Study of monolayer properties, fabrication and characterization of the derived Langmuir-Blodgett films.
1993 - 6 months contract at SHELL (Kent) - Dept. of Environment - Research Assistant. Bioremediation and analyses of soils and ground waters.
1991 - 1993 KODAK (London) - Dept. of Emerging Technologies - Synthetic Chemist. Synthesis of new polymeric surfactants for drug delivery and imaging; use of a computer controlled reactor.
1987 - 1990 LNETI (Queluz) - Dept. of Chemical Technologies - Research Assistant. Synthesis, scale-up and purification of resinic acids derivatives.
Synthesis and characterization of functional polymer based nanocomposites (PFN) via in situ polymerization techniques namely emulsion and miniemulsion; Radical controlled/living polymerization mechanisms namely ATRP and RAFT; Surface modification of inorganic nanoparticles for the preparation of PFN; Use of polysaccharides and other materials from renewable resources to prepare polymer based nanocomposites and hybrid materials;Thermal analysis; Biosensors and Colloids.
- FCT-IUPAC/0001/2009-Encircle-Polymer-ENCapsulation of anisotropic InoRganic partiCLEs by RAFT-mediated emulsion polymerization” , 1-07-2011 -30_06-2014 (95.000,00 €) ; National Project Coordinator.
- EXPL/CTM-ENE/0548/2012 – “CelFuelCel – Bacterial Cellulose membranes for proton exchange fuel cells”; 1-1-2013 to: 31-12-2013 (48.082,00 €); - team member.
- RECI/CTM-CER/0336/2012 – “Heat@UA Facing the challenges of characterizing novel thermal materials and processes”; 1/3/2013 to 31/12/2015 (425.134,00 €); - team member.
Research funded via QREN
- Greenpec, July 2013 - June 2015 ( 351.524, 88 €); - team member.
- FlexiRecover, December 2015 - November 2018 (349.812,37 €); - team member.
- Condade - Inovadores adesivos têxteis condutores, 2018 - 2020; - team member
- POCI-01-0247-FEDER-007678, “SGH - SMART GREEN HOMES”; POCI/
- POCI/SAICTPAC/0032/2015, "UniRCell - Utilized regenerative fuel cell for
efficient renewable energy supply: from materials to device", 1-1-2017
to 31-12-2019; - team member.
- "Inpactus - Produtos e Tecnologias Inovadores a partir do Eucalipto", 2018 - 2021
List of most representative publications during the last 5 years
- Silva L , Flores-Cohen I, Vieira N, Barros Timmons A, Sequeira P (2016), “Durability of ETICS and Premixed One-Coat Renders in Natural Exposure Conditions”. In Peixoto de Freitas V, Costa A, Delgado J.M.P.Q. (ed.). In “Building Pathology and Rehabilitation”, Singapore, Springer, pp . ISBN 978-981-10-0647-0
- 3 -Barros-Timmons A, Oliveira F, Lopes-da-Silva JA (2017), “Organic-inorganic nanocomposites derived from polysaccharides: challenges and opportunities” in Thakur V K, Thakur MK, Kessler MR (ed.). In "Handbook of Composite from Renewable Materials", volume 7, Nanocomposites: Science and Fundamentals, Wiley-Scrivener Publishing . ISBN: 978-1-119-22381-8.
- Scientific papers:
- Carlos Mendonça, Debora T. Balogh, Simone C. Barbosa, Tânia E. Sintra, Sónia P. M. Ventura, Luís F. G. Martins, Pedro Morgado, Eduardo J. M. Filipe, João A. P. Coutinho,
Osvaldo N. Oliveira Jr. and Ana Barros-Timmons, “Understanding the Interactions
of Imidazolium-based Ionic Liquids with Cell Membrane Models”, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2018
- Ana Antunes, Maria Rêgo, Nádia Paiva, João Ferra, Jorge Martins, Luisa Carvalho, Ana Barros Timmons; Fernão Magalhães, “"Introducing flexibility in UF resins: copolymerization
with polyetheramines", Journal of Polymer Science, Part A: Polymer Chemistry (2018)
- N. V. Gama, A. Ferreira, A. Barros-Timmons, “Polyurethane foams: past, present and future”, Materials (2018)
- C. Amaral, R. Vicente, P.A.A.P. Marques, A. Barros-Timmons, “Phase change materials and carbon nanostructures for thermal energy storage: A literature review”, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 79, (2017), 1212–1228
- Nuno Gama, Luis Cadillon Costa, Vitor Amaral, Artur Ferreira, Ana Barros-Timmons, “Insights into the physical properties of biobased polyurethane/expanded graphite composite foams”, Composites Science and Technology 138 (2017) 24-31
- João M. Campos, Ana M. Ferraria, Ana M. Botelho do Rego, M. Rosário Ribeiro, Ana Barros-Timmons, “Studies on PLA grafting onto graphene oxide and its effect on the ensuing composite films”, Materials Chemistry and Physics 166 (2015) 122 -132.
- Sónia O. Pereira, Tito Trindade and Ana Barros-Timmons, “Biotinylation of optically responsive gold/polyelectrolyte nanostructures”, Gold Bull, online December 2014. DOI 10.1007/s13404-014-0153-x
- J Gadim,A Figueiredo, N Rosero-Navarro, C Vilela, J Gamelas, A Barros-Timmons,C Neto, A Silvestre, C Freire,F Figueiredo,"Nanostructured bacterial cellulose–poly(4-styrene sulfonic acid) composite membranes with high storage modulus and protonic conductivity",ACS Appl Mater Interfaces,28;6(10):7864 (2014)
- Belinda Soares, Nuno Gama, Carmen Freire, Ana Barros-Timmons, Inês Brandão, Rui Silva, Carlos P Neto, Artur Ferreira, “Ecopolyols production from industrial cork powder via acid liquefaction using polyhydric alcohols”, ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng., 2014, 2 (4), pp 846–854; DOI: 10.1021/sc400488c
- Paula S. S. Lacerda, Ana M. M. V. Barros-Timmons, Carmen S. R. Freire, Armando J. D. Silvestre, Carlos P. Neto, “Nanostructured composites obtained by ATRP sleeving of bacterial cellulose nanofibers with acrylate polymers”, Biomacromolecules, 14, 2063−2073 (2013).
- M Ghislandi, KSchulte, A. Barros-Timmons and Luis A. S. A. Prado, “Effect of filler
functionalization on thermo-mechanical properties of Polyamide 12 / Carbon
nanofibers composites: A study of filler-matrix molecular interactions”, J Mater Sci, 48, 24, 8427-8437 (2013) (DOI 10.1007/s10853-013-7655-4).
- Adriano A. Torrano, Ângela S. Pereira, Osvaldo N. Oliveira Jr and Ana Barros-Timmons, “Probing the Interaction of Oppositely Charged Gold Nanoparticles with DPPG and DPPC Langmuir Monolayers as Cell Membrane Models”, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 108 (2013) 120– 126.