Main scientific activities imply:
- Scanning Probe microscopy and SPM-based spectroscopy;
- Linear and nonlinear optics and photonics;
- Solid and soft condensed matter physics;
- Advanced multifunctional materials (single-crystal, polycrystalline, nanostructures, and thin films):
- Ferroelectric (organic/inorganic), ferro(ferri)magnetic, and multiferroics;
- Bioinspired, supramolecular, and hybrid (MOF, single-ion magnets etc.);
- Energy storage (ion conductors, super-capacitors, porous polymer matrices);
- Graphene and graphene-based composites.
Actual scientific activity performs:
1) Theoretical and experimental (software/hardware) development of SPM technique:
- SPM mode operated at the nanoscale level in static and ultrafast dynamic modes (combination with laser methods) and aimed for direct imaging, manipulating and analyzing of nanodynamics both on the surface and inside of the objects;
- Non-destructive Hybrid Piezoresponse Force Microscopy mode applied to the study of fragile bio- and organic materials;
- A very local electrical (c-AFM, Spreading Resistance) and electrophysical (EFM, KPFM) measurements applied to the study of organic/inorganic system in order to allow investigate the impact of molecular/grain boundaries, molecular cluster/domain size, layer thickness, composition, crystallinity, defectivity, conductivity, carrier concentration, etc. on the final material performance;
- Single- and multi-frequency SPM mode for detection of reversible/irreversible surface displacements at the nanoscale owing to electrochemical strain nature.
2) Study of origins (mechanical, electromechanical, electrochemical, etc.) of polar nature (piezo- and ferroelectricity) as measured in biological and bioinspired materials (amino acids, peptides, nucleobases, cells, tissues, bones, etc.) at the micro- and nanoscale levels:
- Investigation of morphology and functional changes under external stimuli (electric/magnetic field, temperature pressure, humidity, etc.) and via a combination of an organic matrix with inorganic nanocomposites;
- Investigation of mechanical properties, conductivity, dielectric permittivity, electrostatic force, and work function in cells and decellularized cell-matrix, phospholipids in cell membranes, lipids, and liposomes (empty and filled);
- Investigation of cell proliferation mechanisms under electrically charged surfaces and prototyping of multiferroic devices to promote in-situ bone tissue regeneration and reduce bone-implant rejection rates.
Publications (last 5 years):
- J. Long, M.S. Ivanov, V.A. Khomchenko, E. Mamontova, J.-M. Thibaud, J. Rouquette, M. Beaudhuin, D. Granier, R.A.S. Ferreira, L.D. Carlos, B. Donnadieu, M.S.C. Henriques, J.A. Paixão, Y. Guari, J. Larionova. Room temperature magnetoelectric coupling in a molecular ferroelectric Ytterbium(III) complex. Science 367 (6478), 671-676, 2020.
- A.M. Buryakov, M.S. Ivanov, S.A. Nomoev, D.I. Khusyainov, E.D. Mishina, V.A. Khomchenko, I.S. Vasil’evskii, A.N. Vinichenko, K.I. Kozlovskii, A.A. Chistyakov, J.A. Paixão. An advanced approach to control the electro-optical properties of LT-GaAs-based terahertz photoconductive antenna. Mater. Res. Bull. 122, 110688, 2020.
- M.Salimian, M.S.Ivanov, I.Bdikin, D.Pohl, S.Oswald, V.A.Khomchenko, J.A.Paixão, B.Rellinghaus, P.A.A.P.Marques, G.Gonçalves. Nanoengineered nickel/reduced graphene oxide composites: Control of interfacial nanostructure for tunable electrophysical properties. Appl. Surf. Sci., 498, 143781, 2019.
- V.A.Khomchenko, D.V.Karpinsky, M.S.Ivanov, A.Franz, S.V.Dubkov, M.V.Silibin, J.A.Paixão. Effect of combined Ca/Ti and Ca/Nb substitution on the crystal and magnetic structure of BiFeO3. JMMM 491 (1) 165561, 2019.
- M.S. Ivanov, M.V. Silibin, V.A. Khomchenko, T. Nikitin, A.S. Kalinin, D.V. Karpinsky, I. Bdikin, V.V. Polyakov, R. Fausto, J.A. Paixão. Strong impact of LiNbO3 fillers on local electromechanical and electrochemical properties of P(VDF-TrFe) polymer disclosed via scanning probe microscopy. Appl. Surf. Sci. 470, 1093–1100, 2019
- V. A. Khomchenko, M. S. Ivanov, D. V. Karpinsky, S. V. Dubkov, M. V. Silibin, J. A. Paixão. Weak ferromagnetic state in the polar phase of Bi1-xCaxFe1-x/2Nbx/2O3 multiferroics. Mater. Lett. 235, 46-48, 2019
- M. S. Ivanov, F. Amaral, V. A. Khomchenko, L. C. Costa and J. A. Paixão. A Novel Approach to Study of the Conductivity Behavior of CaCu3Ti4O12 Using Scanning Probe Microscopy Technique. MRS Commun. 8(3), 932-937, 2018
- E. B. Araujo, M. Melo, M. Ivanov, V. Ya. Shur and A. L. Kholkin. Imprint behavior and polarization relaxation of PLZT thin films. Ferroelectrics 533, 1, 10-18, 2018
- S. Dayarian, S. Kopyl, V. Bystrov, M.R. Correia, M.S. Ivanov, E. Pelegova, A. Kholkin. Chloride anions effect on the growth and piezoelectric properties of self-assembled peptide tubular structures. IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control. 65, 9, 1563 - 1570, 2018
- V. Khomchenko, D. Karpinsky, I. Troyanchuk, V. Sikolenko, D. Többens, M.S. Ivanov, M. Silibin, R. Rai, J.A. Paixao. Polar-antipolar transition and weak ferromagnetism in Mn-doped Bi0.86La0.14FeO3. J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 51 (165001), 2018
- Stapleton, M.S. Ivanov, M.R. Noor, C. Silien, A.A. Gandhi, T. Soulimane, A.L. Kholkin, S.A.M. Tofail. Converse piezoelectricity and ferroelectricity in crystals of lysozyme protein revealed by piezoresponse force microscopy. Ferroelectrics 525, 1–11, 2018
- M.S. Ivanov, V.A. Khomchenko, M. Salimian, T. Nikitin, S. Kopyl, A.M. Buryakov, E.D. Mishina, F. Salehli, P.A.A.P. Marques, G. Goncalves, R. Fausto, J.A. Paixão, A.L. Kholkin. Self-assembled diphenylalanine peptide microtubes covered by reduced graphene oxide/spiky nickel nanocomposite: An integrated nanobiomaterial for multifunctional applications. Mater. Des. 142, 149–157, 2018
- M.S. Ivanov, N.E. Sherstyuk, E.D. Mishina, V.A. Khomchenko, A. Tselev, V.M. Mukhortov, J.A. Paixão and A.L. Kholkin. Enhancement of local piezoelectric properties of a perforated ferroelectric thin film visualized via Piezoresponse Force Microscopy. J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 50 (425303), 2017
- V.A. Khomchenko, M.S. Ivanov, D.V. Karpinsky, and J.A. Paixão. Composition-driven magnetic and structural phase transitions in Bi1−xPrxFe1−xMnxO3 multiferroics. Editor's Pick of J. Appl. Phys. 122 (124103) 2017
- M.S. Ivanov, F. Amaral, V.A. Khomchenko, J.A. Paixao and L.C. Costa. Investigation of micro- and nanoscale barrier layer capacitance mechanisms of conductivity in CaCu3Ti4O12 via scanning probe microscopy technique, RSC Adv. 7, 40695–40704, 2017
- E. Seyedhosseini, K.Romanyuk, D. Vasileva, S. Vasilev, A. Nuraeva, P. Zelenovskiy, M. Ivanov, A. N. Morozovska, V.Ya. Shur, H. Lu, A. Gruverman, A.L. Kholkin. Self-assembly of organic ferroelectrics by evaporative dewetting: a case of β-glycine. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 9 (23), 20029–20037, 2017
- M. Ivanov, O. Bak, S. Kopyl, S. Vasilev, P. Zelenovskiy, V.Shur, A. Gruverman, A. Kholkin. High Resolution Piezoresponse Force Microscopy Study of Self-Assembled Peptide Nanotubes. MRS Adv. 2 (2) 63-69, 2017
- N.E. Sherstyuk, M.S. Ivanov, N.A. Ilyin, K.A. Grishunin, V.M. Mukhortov, A.L. Kholkin and E.D. Mishina. Local electric field distribution in ferroelectric films and photonic crystals during polarization reversal. Ferroelectrics 503, 138-148, 2016
- V.Ya. Shur, E.M. Vaskina, E.V. Pelegova, M.A. Chuvakova, A.R. Akhmatkhanov, O.V. Kizko, M. Ivanov, and A.L. Kholkin. Domain wall orientation and domain shape in KTiOPO4 crystals. Appl. Phys. Lett. 109 (132901) 2016
- M. Melo, E.B. Araujo, M. Ivanov, V.Ya. Shur, A.L. Kholkin. Nanoscale polarization relaxation and piezoelectric properties of SBN thin films. 2016 Joint IEEE International Symposium on the Applications of Ferroelectrics, European Conference on Application of Polar Dielectrics, and Piezoelectric Force Microscopy Workshop (ISAF/ECAPD/PFM), 16341844, 1 – 4, 2016
- M. Ivanov, S. Kopyl, S.A.M. Tofail, K. Ryan, B.J. Rodriguez, V.Ya. Shur, A.L. Kholkin. Ferroelectricity in synthetic biomaterials: hydroxyapatite and polypeptides, in Electrically Active Materials for Medical Devices, ed by S.A.M. Tofail, J. Bauer, Imperial College Press, London, 150-166, ISBN: 978-1-783-26986-0, 2016
- Coondoo, S. Kopyl, M. Ivanov, V.Ya. Shur, A.L. Kholkin. Energy harvesting with biomaterials, in “Electrically Active Materials for Medical Devices, ed by S.A.M. Tofail, J. Bauer, Imperial College Press, London, 297-313, ISBN: 978-1-783-26986-0, 2016
- E. Seyedhosseini, I. Bdikin, M. Ivanov, D. Vasileva, A. Kudryavtsev, B. Rodriguez, and A. Kholkin. Tip-induced domain structures and polarization switching in ferroelectric amino acid glycine. J. Appl. Phys. 118 (072008) 2015
- M. Salimian, M. Ivanov, F.L. Deepak, D.Y. Petrovykh, I. Bdikin, M. Ferro, A. Kholkin, E. Titus and G. Goncalves. Synthesis and characterization of reduced graphene oxide/spiky nickel nanocomposite for nanoelectronic applications. J. Mater. Chem. C 3, 11516-11523, 2015
- S. Luchkin, K. Romanyuk, M. Ivanov, and A. Kholkin. Li transport in fresh and aged LiMn2O4 cathodes via Electrochemical Strain Microscopy. J. Appl. Phys. 118 (072016) 2015
- K. Romanyuk, S.Yu. Luchkin, M. Ivanov, A. Kalinin and A.L. Kholkin. Single- and Multi-Frequency Detection of Surface Displacements via Scanning Probe Microscopy Microsc. Microanal 21 (1) 154-163, 2015
- Buryakov, M.S. Ivanov, E.D. Mishina. Tunable enhancement of ferroelectric properties in BaxSr1−xTiO3/La0.7Sr0.3MgO3 heterostructures observed by means of second harmonic generation technique. Solid State Commun. 206, 51–55, 2015
Book: Electrically Active Materials for Medical Devices (ISBN: 978-1-78326-986-0)
Chapter 11: M. Ivanov, S. Kopyl, S.A.M. Tofail, K. Ryan, B.J. Rodriguez, V.Ya. Shur, A.L. Kholkin. Ferroelectricity in synthetic biomaterials: hydroxyapatite and polypeptides, 150-166;
Chapter 21: I. Coondoo, S. Kopyl, M. Ivanov, V.Ya. Shur, A.L. Kholkin. Energy harvesting with biomaterials, 297-313.
- In collaborations with NT-MDT Spectrum Instruments (http://www.ntmdt-si.com) and Robert Bosch Stiftung GmbH (http://www.bosch-stiftung.de/en) participation in the development of the patents for 1. Non-destructive Hybrid Piezoresponse Force Microscopy mode (http://www.ntmdt-si.com/hybrid-mode-afm) applied to the study of fragile bio- and organic materials (the certificate is available as required); and 2. Single- and multi-frequency SPM mode for detection of reversible/irreversible surface displacements due to the electrochemical strain signal measured at the nanoscale level in manufactured LiMn2O4 battery cathode materials;
- RU2012106735-A: Two-photon pump integrated bio-laser, has biological organism peptide nano-tube isolated from organism that is obtained from monomers through nano-structure, and harmonic whose emission reinforcement is provided with active medium;
- RU2010151517-A: Method for measuring local magneto-electric coefficient in multi-ferroide materials and hetero-structures, involves recording emission of electrodes on optical unit for subsequent measurement of magneto-electric coefficient.
Communications in scientific meetings: more than 30 including 1 invited(M.A. van der Veen, M. Ivanov, S. Vancleuvenbergen, I. Stassen, Y. Zhang, B. Champagne, and A. Kholkin. A piezoelectric metal-organic framework: ZIF-8. INVITED on 2017 Joint IEEE ISAF-IWATMD-PFM Conference. Atlanta. Canada (2017)).