Vitor Brás Sequeira Amaral
THEMATIC STRAND 1
- Doping effect on structure and properties of multiferroic ceramics. Study of structural transitions, defect chemistry and ferroic domains.
- Lead-free piezo and ferroelectrics. Electrophoretic deposition and constrained sintering of films for high frequency applications. Pressure/substrate effect on the microstructure. Grain boundary engineering.
- Nanoporous and nanostructured ferroelectrics by solution-based techniques. Functionalization with magnetic nanoparticles.
- Multiferroic particulate or laminar nanocomposites.
- Development of ferroic Metal Organic Frameworks and modifications for properties tailoring.
- CNTs/Ferroelectric composites.
- Thin film preparation studies with RF sputtering for magnetoelectric devices. All-oxide structures. Magnetic shape-memory films and heterostructures. Buffer layers. Lithographic device manufacture for electronics. Research on new rare-earth free permanent magnet materials.
- Bias-induced phase transitions. Local artificial multiferroic regions within a matrix or across interfaces. Role of oxygen migration/diffusion.
- Magnetic foams and magnetoplasticity
- Multiscale physical properties study of magneto-structural-electronic coupling in magnetic and multiferroic materials.
- Multiple/coupled order parameters modeling studies of materials, heterogeneous/layered systems and interfaces.
- Monte-Carlo techniques. Models for nanoparticles and ferrofluids.
- Development of AFM-based scanning thermal probe/actuator techniques.
- Radioactive isotope hyperfine studies at ISOLDE-CERN (local correlations of multiferroics, probing and doping on graphene/surfaces of ferroics in UHV). Atomic binding on graphene for integration and catalysis. Local structure-magnetoelectric couplings.
- Nanoelectromechanical properties of graphene. Stress/strain distribution, flexoelectricity, thermomechanical deformation and defect formation.
- Layered and nanostructured thermoelectrics. Texture and grain boundary effects.
- Calculation of electronic structure using ab-initio DFT methods. Ferroelectric and multiferroic properties. Stability, interactions, hyperfine fields and EELS.
THEMATIC STRAND 2
- Li batteries: nanomechanical stresses induced into cathode active particles, their design for stable batteries. Lifetime dependent Li-diffusion studied by ESM.
- Ferrocaloric functionalities (magneto-, electro- or elastocaloric) and application to cooling focused on strong structural coupling materials.
- Thermoelectric functionalities and performance optimization.
- Novel thermometry techniques.
- Devices design, thermal properties and performance measurements, numerical simulation and modeling. Prototype construction.
- Investigations of piezoelectric energy harvesting applications.
THEMATIC STRAND 3
- Low temperature, low cost fabrication of functional materials, structures and systems. Use of high-throughput combinatorial synthesis, assisted by computational modelling for accelerated materials production. Application in flexible polymeric substrates.
- Economic and environmentally benign nanosynthesis methods of ferroics suitable for scale-up. Use of renewable synthesis routes, recycled waste materials or by-products for sustainability.
- Nanoparticles and composites for bio-medical applications. Magnetically responsive capsules, multifunctional luminescent and magnetic materials. Instrumentation for sensing and heat release in magnetic hyperthermia.
- Polarization phenomena in biomaterials: Amino acid crystals to write information. Peptide foams and nanotubes for bioMEMS and sensors. Biosensing capabilites of functionalized tubes.
- Biocompatible and biodegradable polymers films as platforms for tissue growth. Evaluation of protein adsorption process and cell proliferation. Thin films deposited on bio metallic surfaces for in vivo studies.